Frappuccino is a Greek coffee that is a blend of water, sugar, and instant coffee. This drink was invented on accident by an employee of Nescafe. Frappe in French means ‘to hit’, and that is how it is actually made, too. With a punch of ice and a hint of coffee, sugar, and water, this drink is soothing to the throat and great for sunny weather.
Starbucks started selling frappe drink under their trademark and this is how this brew became so popular. It consists of a coffee or cream base and can be blended with ice, froth, milk, juice, etc.
History of the Drink
Although Frappuccino had been trademarked by Starbucks, it was originally sold at a simple coffee chain in Massachusetts which was owned by a guy named Andrew Franks. In 1994, Starbucks trademarked the connection and took all the rights, preparing the amazing Frappuccino in their outlets.
However, Starbucks started selling a different version of this drink. It is a mix of different cold drinks, such as the coffee frap (that is similar to iced coffee) and the frappe (blend of normal cold coffee with milk, syrup, and ice cream). The Italian recipe of this drink is still very traditional as it was when it was first invented.
Versions of Frappuccino
- Decaffeinated – Decaf espresso is used to brew this beverage without any caffeine.
- Crème – When frappuccino and cream are mixed, it gives rise to creme. Starbucks frappuccino menu includes cream flavors mocha, caramel, vanilla bean, and strawberry. As per customers request, they add syrup or sweet sauce and even blend it with extra cream. It is good for people who like to have low amounts of coffee, as this version of frappuccino has little coffee in it.
- Less fat-contained ingredients – Starbucks introduced frappuccino without any milk or any other dairy product for people who were lactose intolerant. Now, we also have a blend of coconut and milk, which contains a very low amount of fat.
- Fusion with juice – Starbucks also prepared juice based coffee. It didn’t sell much and when the experiment failed, Starbucks took it off their menu.
Modification Made to the Drink
Anyone can order a frappuccino according to their preference. For example, a frappuccino with espresso shots and additional ingredients like flavored syrup, chocolate chips, and flavored powders. Customization of this drink is also possible by adding ice.
In the year 1996, Starbucks started to manufacture their frappuccino in pet bottles and jars, increasing their sales tremendously. These bottled versions are not the same as the frappuccinos in plastic cups, which are served in Starbucks stores.
On the frappuccino menu, Starbucks put plenty of tasty drinks to enjoy. These blended drinks have a lot of sugar and come in a number of varieties. Here are some well-known frappuccinos:
- Caramel Frappuccino – Caramel Frappuccino is a total classic, caramel taste coffee, blended with a sweet and salty taste.
- Mocha Frappuccino – If you are looking for something that is sweet and smooth, Mocha Frappuccino is the answer.
- Strawberries and Crème Frappuccino – Some say that this is the best frappuccino of Starbucks because of the sweet taste of strawberries and crème.
Beyond these are the Java Chip Frappuccino, S’mores Frappuccino, and Horchata Frappuccino. Head on over to your local Starbucks and try one of the amazing frappucinos! Your taste buds won’t regret it!